- Year of composition: 2009-10
- Duration: 12:26
- Instrumentation: fixed medium
Variants of this Track
- 5.1 • PCM • 96 kHz • 24 bits
- 5.1 • Dolby Digital • 48 kHz • 24 bits
- 2.0 • PCM • 96 kHz • 24 bits
- 2.0 • MP3 • 320 kbps
Sustain began with an investigation into a pitch shifting transformation that produced very bright complex spectra. It also aimed to be somewhat ‘sustained’ in its growth. As further sound sources were gathered — including the sustained sound of wind noise — the idea of a relaxed dreamlike piece was shattered and something rather brutal took its place. Neither of the sounds mentioned could be tamed. Definitely a work where the content is not aptly described by the title! Whilst this work is predominantly abstract in nature, references to the natural world (open spaces, wind noise) help to tie the real to the imaginary.
Sustain was realized from August 2009 to February 2010 at the composer’s studio and premiered on March 1, 2010 during the 20 years of musical innovation concert at PACE Studio 1 of De Montfort University (Leicester, UK).
- March 1, 2010, 20 Years of empreintes DIGITALes, Cultural eXchanges 2010: 20 Years of Musical Innovation, PACE Studio 1 — De Montfort University, Leicester (England, UK)